This Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception is located in the heart of Batangas City, the provincial capital of the Province of Batangas
Church History· On 1581, the original church was built by Father Diego Mojica an Agustinian Friar and pastor of Calapan
· The church was offered to the Immaculate Conception
· The foundation of the second church was positioned in the year 1601
· Church construction from 1682 to 1721
· In 1693, a convent was added, along with some artillery to ward-off pirates.
· And then the 2nd church was torn down after 179 years.
· In 1851, Fr. Pedro Cuesta had the current church constructed.
· It was blessed on February 2, 1857
· Established as a Minor Basilica on February 13, 1948.
There are a lot of paintings and murals in this church.
The mural depicting a scene from Genesis with the words “Fiat Lux” which is a Latin phrase that means “Let there be light!”
Mural depicting the “Ascension of Jesus to Heaven”
Mural depicting the “Judgement day”
The church interior
A statue of the sacred heart of Jesus in front of the church
The schedule of liturgical services
Pictures outside the church
How to get there?
For commuters: From Manila ride provincial bus going to Batangas City Pier and get-off at Balagtas, Batangas. Then ride jeepney to “Bayan” which means town proper. And then get off infront of the Basilica.
For those with private cars: From Manila take the South super hi-way and star toll hi-way going all the way to Balagtas, Batangas. At the end of the Star toll hi-way, which is Balagtas, turn left to the national road going to the town proper all the way to P. Burgos St. then straight to the Basilica.
View Larger Map