In Balanga, Bataan
This Cathedral is headed by Bishop Socrates Villegas the third Bishop of the Diocese of Balanga. He was also named Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan.
Balanga is formerly belonged to Abucay Church and became an independent in 1739. Rev. Benito Rivas, O.P., strengthened this church by fortifying its wall. Rev. Juan Antonio Vicente, O.P, roofed it with galvanized iron and decorated the interior. Rev. Mariano Ma. Minano, O.P., from 1838-1846 constructed the arch of the choir loft and made the baptismal font out of granite from Mariveles.
The parochial ministration under the Filipino clergy started with Rev. Mariano Sarili, June 21, 1898. The church was used as the site for Japanese artillery bombardment of Mt. Samat where the Filipino and American forces gave their last stand during the last World War II in the Philippines.
The Church interior and Altar.
The Adoration Chapel
How to go there?
From Manila, ride a bus going to Balanga Bataan. Then from the bus stop ride tricycle going to the church.
View Larger Map